LETTER FROM GRAND MASTER
The Vovinam salute
Today we discuss the meaning of the VOVINAM VIET VO DAO salute. “The iron hand on the benevolent heart” is used at the beginning of all activities, meetings, before a ceremony, before and after a demonstration or dual. The hand symbolizing strength is an iron hand. The heart symbolizing love is a benevolent heart. The iron hand is formed by training, the benevolent heart by thoroughly understanding the way of martial arts.
Whenever on places a hand over the heart to salute, a vovinam Viet Vo Dao disciple must remember that whenever using martial arts always couple it with love. It means that the iron hand is always with a benevolent heart, bravery must be with humanity, and martial arts are always imbuing with the Way.
Vovinam Viet Vo Dao disciples only use martial arts to warn, to convince and to enlighten others, not to punish or to retaliate. Using martial arts with The Way, we always forgive and tolerate, but not act with cruelty to force others to follow our will.
Besides, when we put our hand over heart, we also think that we are all a part of the same humanity. We will have the same heart, coursing with the same blood. We have to love each other, to protect, to support, to encourage in order to work for the benefit of the family, the country and humanity.
The iron hand is also a symbol of bravery. The benevolent heart is also a symbol of generosity. Bravery should be coupled with generosity. Bravery and generosity also are governed and directed by the intellect in order to be properly carried out in martial arts.
The martial arts student desires to have all the above mentioned virtues. He must practice, study, and enhance his mind, body and intellect for both martial art and The Way so that he won’t be awkward in his action. Otherwise, cruelty, meanness, or weakness and ineffectiveness will be the bad habits, which obstruct his success and cause people to lose confidence in him.
10 pledges of vovinam
As a Viet Vo Dao Disciple, I shall:
- Strive to reach the height of martial arts in order to serve mankind.
- Faithfully build up my martial arts discipline and develop a new generation of Vovinam youth.
- Live in harmony with others, respect my seniors and love my fellow disciples.
- Absolutely obey Vovinam’s rules and regulations, and uphold the honor of a martial artist.
- Respect other disciples of martial arts, and only use force for self-defense and defense of justice.
- Work hard for personal and ethical enrichment.
- Live an honest, modest, and noble life.
- Develop the firm will to overcome all obstacles in life.
- Develop sound judgment and stamina, and act with wisdom
- Be self-confident, self-controlled, and benevolent; and constantly review myself to strive for improvements.
10 điều tâm niệm
- Việt Võ Đạo sinh nguyện đạt tới cao độ của nghệ thuật để phục vụ dân tộc và nhân loạị
- Việt Võ Đạo sinh nguyện trung kiên phát huy môn phái, xây dựng thế hệ thanh niên Việt Võ Đạọ
- Việt Võ Đạo sinh đồng tâm nhất chí, tôn kính người trên, thương mến đồng đạọ
- Việt Võ Đạo sinh tuyệt đối tôn trọng kỷ luật, nêu cao danh dự võ sĩ.
- Việt Võ Đạo sinh tôn trọng các võ phái khác, chỉ dụng võ để tự vệ và bênh vực lẽ phảị
- Việt Võ Đạo sinh chuyên cần học tập, rèn luyện tinh thần, trau dồi đạo hạnh.
- Việt Võ Đạo sinh sống trong sạch, giản dị, trung thực, và cao thượng.
- Việt Võ Đạo sinh kiện toàn ý chí đanh thép để thắng phục cường quyền và bạo lực.
- Việt Võ Đạo sinh sáng suốt nhận định, bền gan tranh đấu, tháo vát hành động.
- Việt Võ Đạo sinh tự tin, tự thắng, khiêm cung, độ lượng, luôn luôn kiểm điểm để tiến bộ.